RE: [Xen-users] Push for Better Documentation

To: "'Dylan Martin'" <dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Lev Lafayette'" <lev@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Push for Better Documentation
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:32:03 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Christian Horn' <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Tom Horsley' <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:30:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I would propose not to create a new or user-specific pages, but use and
improve existing structures on the xensource website, especially wiki.

I personally miss following information:
1. all possible tags and keys in the configuration file for the DomU - I
think there are a lot of "hidden functions" which cannot be used because
nobody knows them - maybe if they are not implemented fully, they should be
listed with the corresponding comment what can be expected there ( - for
example like the "rate" property of the vif interface definition which has
been communicated here some days ago)

2. manual pages should be installed together with xen open source - I do not
if I missed something somewhere, but after installing xen the command "man
xm" or silmilar commands return no available manual pages - can this one be
obtained somwhere?

3. More philosophy-related documents - there are some of them, but it is
mainly some basic documentation - are there any documentations which could
be taken from the development side? I think there must be such documents,
but are not on the xen site...

But I think, crucial point is to establish the cooperation with the people
who develop xen to get the information how it behaves, which functionality
is really there in which state (concretely, not only as a list of the
features for some release) etc.

Is there some authority, which leads the development? I think this authority
should also be responsible (or delegate to somebody the responsibility) for
the proper documentation to the users.
To develop functionality does not help, if nobody knows how to use it...

        With best regards

                Artur.

P.S. I do not have a lot of time, but would also like to help in this area
if this will be possible.