Re: [Xen-users] what creates the veth* devices?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] what creates the veth* devices?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:25:32 +0100
Cc: Chris Stromsoe <cbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:23:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What creates the veth* devices and is it necessary to have them in order
> to have correct / functional networking?

What makes you think you should have them?  They were present in some versions
of Xen and not in others (I regret I can't remember how the network was set
up in 3.0.3).

> I'm using Xen 3.0.3 on Debian Etch.  I have my dom0 networking being built
> using standard Debian configuration in /etc/network/interfaces.
> xend-config.sxp is set to use
>
> (network-script network-dummy)
>
> My domU configurations are set with
>
> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr772' ]
>
> Everything seems to be working as near as I can tell, except that I don't
> have any veth* devices.  My domUs all have a vif device that shows up as
> part of the correct bridge when the domU starts up.  Do I need those?

The vif devices are a representation of what the netback driver is up to.
Logically, each vif device in dom0 is connected via "virtual crossover" to a
vif in a guest.  Because of this, you need them to be up, or you won't be
able to access the guest's network card (and vice versa).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!