[Xen-users] Weird Problems w/ RAM and pciback.hide

To: XEN User - listmembers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Weird Problems w/ RAM and pciback.hide
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 13:44:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 04:43:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi listmembers,

last night at the data-center I encountered two weird problems with two of our
Xen Servers.
Hardware is Supermicro PDSMi and PDSMe. We tried to change RAM from 4GB
(4*1/667) to 8GB
(4*2/667). One Board only shows a black screen, but this seems to be a BIOS
issue (rev1.1).
The other one was booting xen3.1 PAE, but when it reached the the dom0 Kernel,
it freezed.
Adding a grub menu entry with dom0_mem=512M shows "Scrubbing Ram ........." and
freezes.
The dom0 Kernel which is supposed to boot is also i386 PAE. Xen shows a support
Value of
16GB Ram. Is there any known issue on booting PAE w/ 8GB Ram?
Oh besides, we recently tried the new Ram in another (unrelated) machine, and
did memtest86
with no errors.

My Question is now, should I look for Xen errors or report this error to the
vendor?

Another, non memory related problem, was on a machine with pciback.hide in the
dom0
and pci= in one domU config, to give one ISDN Card directly to one domU. This
works
really nice, also the ISDN Card is running fine. But, when i shutdown this
particular
domU, after unloading the kernelcapi, a Kernelpanic occurs, which randomly
freezes the
whole machine. Since I'm using xm console, I was not able to see, if this
kernelpanic
was reported from domU during shutdown or directly from dom0 with loss of domU
console
connection.
Is there any known problem on freeing domU pci devices?
I tried this with xen3.1 PAE and xen distributed 3.1 kernel as well as with
Ubuntu
xen-2.6.18-server (which is also PAE, but derived from 3.03 Xen).
domU kernel was always xen distributed 3.1. PCI Device is a ISDN PCI Fritz!
Card from
AVM, drivers were compiled with the particular kernelheaders from recent AVM
Sources.
I compiled them directly in the running domU, the modules and kernelheaders has
been
copied from dom0.

Thanks in advance!

...did I mention how boring a data center can be between 22:00 and 05:00 ? brrrr

--
Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054