Re: [Xen-users] when and how to modify xen paravirtualized guest os kern

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] when and how to modify xen paravirtualized guest os kernel after install it by virt-manager?
From: Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:41:37 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:39:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
youhongyu wrote:
> it is said that paravirtualized virtual machine need a modified kernel, isn't
> this true?
> i install fc7 as a guest os by virtual-manager in xen mode, but no where have
> noticed me to do any modification with guest os kernel, why?

the 'modified kernel' refers to patching the kernel to make it
xen-aware.  i think the word 'modifications' misleads non-developer
people to think about some simple, mechanical changes, when in fact it's
a rewriting of some very low-level routines.

the xen developers maintain the patches for linux; there's equivalent
patches for BSD and Solaris, on different levels of support.

virt-manager sets up a xen-aware kernel for DomU's, probably the same
used by Dom0 (which has to have the same patches to even boot).

--
Javier