RE: Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Poor disk io performance in domUs

To: "David Brown" <dmlb2000@xxxxxxxxx>, "Andrej Radonic" <rado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Poor disk io performance in domUs
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:41:19 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:39:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, if you expect IOMMU to solve the problem, you can do the same
(with slightly less security, admittedly) in Para-virtual domains today
- since IOMMU can only translate and protect on a per-device level, so
you need to have one device per domain.

So if you have a disk-controller with disk for each domain, you could do
that today. Same with network controllers [there are even some network
controllers which are "multihead", meaning that they present themselves
as multiple individual devices, even though it all goes onto a single
network connection].

The other point that immediately comes to mind here is that the Dom0
should definitely have it's own CPU if you're doing a lot of
disk/network IO through it.

--
Mats