[Xen-users] Xen guest domain freezes when prelink runs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen guest domain freezes when prelink runs
From: Richard Blocker <rblocker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:09:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:07:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm new to running Xen, so maybe I missed something, but this is a
puzzling problem that I didn't find on any of the Xen lists.

I'm running the Xen 3.0.3 that comes with RedHat EL 5 (all stock, all up
to date as of today) and I have a single guest domain HVM also running
RHEL 5. Whenever the guest OS runs the initial prelink job defined in
/etc/cron.daily (/usr/sbin/prelink -av -mR -f) the guest CPU pegs at
100% and the system stops responding. It never resumes (at least not for
12 hours). I can reboot the guest domain from the host machine, and it
recovers fine, until prelink runs. I even ran cpu-burnin on the HVM to
see if it was just the load, but it was fine while that ran.  If I run
the prelink command manually, it immediately freezes.

For the record, the hardware is a dual quad core Xeon system with 8GB of
memory.  The guest HVM uses a single CPU with 512MB of memory allocated.

Has anyone else seen this?

--

Richard Blocker
Information Systems Manager