Re: [Xen-users] Is HP server hardware incompatible with Xen?

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is HP server hardware incompatible with Xen?
From: "Chris Fanning" <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:24:43 +0200
Cc: Matt Okeson-Harlow <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 04:22:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=RV/MGpHlftC6i9WZFgOh/xZ/Cw7yuhyxS0bY+CsFQ/dGOMbp4sTcAHl4cfivgU/1QdJeggQTpzrFjdBWHuQIonUHGil3bpWXe/Nxe3p62YmoMWHou2vbXi1TUxWIhdK3lYl9VzvmLBp+SK53dEkGovKilgbopBXx/oxq6kfQ94s=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On 6/19/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why would a machine that can run linux, not run Xen?
> (Unless you are looking for Hardware Virtualization that is.)

Generally, I would agree with that. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

It's also depending a lot on what you mean by "compatible" (or
"incompatible"). Does compatible mean that "there are no reason why it
wouldn't run, but no-one has tested it" or "It's been tested by a
verifiable source". The latter case is what's listed on the link given
by Chris. That doesn't mean that OTHER systems won't run Xen without
problems. That some machine ISN'T listed doesn't mean that it's not
compatible by the former meaning (although it is POSSIBLE that it's not
listed because it failed - most companies don't want to get in trouble
by listing "non-working" solutions in a "name and shame" fashion!). Just
that it's not compatible by the latter meaning...

I'm pretty sure that the list given is simply based on what has been
submitted to XenSource for testing, or that has been tested specifically
by the manufacturer.

I'd agree with that.

Note also that XenEnterprise 3.1 (which is based on a Xen 3.0.x
hypervisor) has been tested on the previously mentioned DL145 machine,
so I don't see any reason why the open-source version shouldn't run on
this machine, regardless of what HP claims.

Well, I am actually looking for confirmation on a ProLiant ML150 G3
machine, not the DL145.

I just don't want to buy the machine to find out that there's some
problem that stops me from using it for it's intended purpose.

Thanks.
Chris.

--
Mats