RE: [Xen-users] amd64 system only seeing 3.5gb instead of 4gb of memory

To: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] amd64 system only seeing 3.5gb instead of 4gb of memory
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:25:02 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:23:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, (flexible) memory hoisting is only available on Rev E or later. Not
an issue as your machine is a Rev F processor (Opteron 1xxx, 2xxx and
8xxx are Rev F).

> > 2. You need to have PAE or 64-bit mode to see any memory
> ABOVE 4GB (so
> > even if it's remapped, non-PAE will not be able to "get
> there" because
> > it's strictly limited to 32-bit memory addresses, which is 4GB in
> total
> > - this is why the PCI memory is located around the end of 4GB).
>
> xm info:
>
> host                   : dev
> release                : 2.6.18-4-xen-amd64
> version                : #1 SMP Fri May 4 02:40:51 UTC 2007
> machine                : x86_64
> nr_cpus                : 2
>
> definitely running in 64 bit mode yes?

Looks so.

> > 3. Your BIOS must enable "memory hoisting", which is the techie name
> for
> > "move memory from under PCI space to someplace else".
>
> Now this I haven't checked... I'll have a look this weekend.
>
> Subsequent reading showed at least one other person had such
> a problem,
> and it was probably related to grub passing a 'basic' memory
> map instead
> of the modern type (I even followed up to that post
> originally... what a
> short memory I have these days!!!). I can probably confirm
> this from xm
> dmesg:
>
> (XEN) Command line: /xen-3.1.0-1-amd64.gz
> (XEN)  0000000000000000 - 000000000009f000 (usable)
> (XEN)  0000000000100000 - 00000000dfff0000 (usable)
> (XEN) System RAM: 3583MB (3669564kB)
> (XEN) Xen heap: 13MB (14176kB)
> (XEN) Domain heap initialised: DMA width 32 bits

So that tells us that Xen is doing exactly what the BIOS/Grub says - and
of course, GRUB does things differently for Xen and a normal Linux
distro, simply because it's using a different model of booting.

--
Mats