[Xen-users] Multiple NIC usage in RHEL5

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Multiple NIC usage in RHEL5
From: "Ford, Michael" <michael.ford@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:41:47 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:42:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,

I’m using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (with RH Virtualization) and a Dell Poweredge  2950 with 10 NICs. My virtual operating systems are all RHEL4, and I’ve installed 4 instances. I’m trying to set up the virtual operating systems so that the physical NICs are allocated to certain operating systems. Using the following tutorial:

I created a my-network-script that accounts for seven of the NICS, and changed the access permissions accordingly:

#!/bin/sh
dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=2 netdev=eth2 bridge=xenbr2
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=3 netdev=eth3 bridge=xenbr3
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=4 netdev=eth4 bridge=xenbr4
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=5 netdev=eth5 bridge=xenbr5
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=6 netdev=eth6 bridge=xenbr6

I also changed the configurations of the virtual RHEL4s (didn’t feel like typing out the MACS, as my linux box doesn’t have an internet connection)

Slave1:

vif=[ ‘type=ioemu, mac= XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr1’]

Slave2:

vif=[ ‘type=ioemu, mac= XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr2’, ‘type=ioemu, mac= XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr3’ ]

Slave3:

vif=[ ‘type=ioemu, mac= XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr4’, ‘type=ioemu, mac= XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr5’ ]

Slave4:

vif=[ ‘type=ioemu, mac= XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, bridge=xenbr6 ]

I statically set the IP address from within the virtual OS.

I also have a laptop running RHEL4 and switch in this configuration, in order to test which physical NIC in the server has been allocated to the virtual OS through simple pinging between the laptop and the virtual OS.

However, this setup causes a couple of problems:

1)    When I start up the slave2, I found the NIC in the server which corresponded with one of the ip addresses, but unexpectedly, the other ip address could be pinged from the same NIC. Just to see if traffic was ‘bleeding,’ I checked all of the other NICs to see if I could ping the second IP address from them, but to no avail. It seems that both ip addresses reference the same NIC.

2)    When I try to start up slave3 or slave4 with the edited OS configuration files, both of them stay paused for some time, until crashing with the following message: ‘Error: destroyDevice() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)’

I’ve tried to look into a few sources that might address my issues, but to no avail. Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

-Michael Ford-