[Xen-users] live migration on SAN

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] live migration on SAN
From: "Fast Jack" <fastjack75@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:07:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:05:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Currently I'm trying to set up a number of servers with Xen 3.0. To
ensure high availability, this setup should support live migration of
the domUs between the hardware-nodes.

On the hardware side we have a number of servers connected to a SAN
via fibre channel. The problem now is that I can't find any definitive
requirements for the virtual block devices and filesystems presented
to the domUs. The documentations doesn't say much on that subject.
I have read a number of example setups ranging from ext3 in LVM
(non-cluster) volumes on the SAN-disk to cluster-aware solutions based
on e.g. OCFS2.

As far as I can tell no concurrent access to each dumUs storage from
multiple hosts takes place during live migration or otherwise. So I'm
wondering whether cluster-save technology like OCFS2, GFS or CLVM are
really necessary to ensure that the domUs filesystem is not corrupted
during migration. If possible I would like to avoid using
cluster-software as it brings with it new points of failure.

So my questions are:
What are the actual requirements on the domUs storage?
Could you give me a few examples of thoroughly tried and tested setups?

Thanks in advance

Björn