Re: [Xen-users] sysrq/shutdown in xen 3.1 + centos5 HVM guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] sysrq/shutdown in xen 3.1 + centos5 HVM guest
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:51:28 +0100
Cc: Schober Walter <Walter.Schober@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:50:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 08 June 2007, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 04:51:43PM +0200, Schober Walter wrote:
> > Doing a
> >     [root@s12 ~]# xm sysrq vs01 s
> > does nothing in the VM.
>
> This only works for paravirt guests.

That's a shame.  I guess in principle this should just be plumbed through the
Qemu monitor to the emulated sysrq key.

> > Also strange: Doing a "xm shutdown vs01" just terminates the VM. No
> > orderly shutdown on the VNC console....
>
> Not at all strange. HVM guests can't do controlled shutdown process unless
> you install special Xen paravirt drivers inside the guest. Without those
> drivers it will just hard poweroff. Since you've using Cent OS 5 as your
> guest you really would do much better with paravirt instead of HVM - you'll
> easily have x100 the network performance with paravirt for example

I remember seeing some talk on the Qemu list of shutting down guests using APM
power button events.  Maybe we could do something like that.

Cheers,
Mark

> > I looked through a lot of docs so far, all telling me, that xm shutdown
> > should do a shutdown like a "shutdown" in the Guest, and sysrq should
> > work as well.
>
> Only for paravirt unless you have extra drivers in the guest
>
> Dan.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!