[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1.0 "Error: Unable to connect to xend:

To: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1.0 "Error: Unable to connect to xend: No such file or directory. Is xend running?"
From: "Steven Wilson" <steven.e.wilson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:09:33 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:07:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The issue(s) seems to be triggered by the dom0 being rebooted while
domU's are still running.  I'm actually seeing a different errors now
when attempting to xm create after a dom0 reboot that had live domU's:

# xm create -c vps00
Using config file "./vps00".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Writing
backend/vbd/2/2049/physical-device fd:1 to xenstore failed.

A "service restart xend" allows and then an "xm create" allows the vps
to start booting, but then fails with:
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Further reboots and xend restarts cause similar errors:

# xm create -c vps00
Using config file "./vps00".
Error: (5, 'Input/output error')

I know the vps config is good because it just ran prior to the reboot.
I've attached the xend.log for review.  All the errors so far seem to
involve missing devices after a dom0 reboot with running domU's.  I've
attached the xend.log for review.

On 6/1/07, Steven Wilson <steven.e.wilson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, the system was rebooted to load the xen kernel. I'm attempting to
duplicate the problem in repeatable fashion to provide more details.