Re: [Xen-users] Setup WinXP with HVM and qemu image

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Setup WinXP with HVM and qemu image
From: Martin Goldstone <m.j.goldstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:46:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 00:45:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Have you tried setting the cdrom to some device or file (ie disk = [ 'file:/var/images/winxp.qcow,hda,w', 'file:/isoimage.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ])?

Martin

Geert Janssens wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to accomplish the following:
- The hardware is a recent HP workstation xw6400 with a dual core Xeon processor. HVM is enabled in bios. 2Gb Ram available.
- Dom0 is Centos 5, x86 (on xen 3.0.3 with redhat's modifications)
- I would like to migrate a Qemu Windows XP installation to a xen hvm

I figured this should not be too hard, because full virtualisation uses the same (or allmost the same?) device model as qemu and under qemu, my Windows XP installation is working fine.

I have created a config file (see below), and started the guest domain with xm create /etc/xen/WinXP.hvm

xm then tells me that the domain was started succesfully, and xm list does show it:
[root@localhost ~]# xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     1488     2 r-----    185.5
WindowsXP                                  6      517     1 ------      0.0

However, I can't find a way to connect to it via vnc. I tried
vncviewer localhost:10

But this returns immediatly with
VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.2 for X - built Mar 14 2007 22:51:02
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Thu May 31 22:53:15 2007
 main:        unable to connect to host: Connection refused (111)

What is happening here ?

Below is my Guest domain's config. I have set the options to match the original qemu config as close as possible.
#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================
import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 512
shadow_memory = 8
name = "WindowsXP"
vcpus=2
#pae=0
#acpi=0
#apic=0
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:18:32:6c:00:ba, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/var/images/winxp.qcow,hda,w', ',hdc:cdrom,r' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncdisplay=10
vncconsole=0