Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM-capable CPU
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:34:45 +0300
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:30:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Do, Mai 31, 2007 at 02:48:40 +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > Thank you for your help.
> > And please, excuse me my bad English.
> >
> > I'll try to clarify what I want.
> >
> > Example.
> >
> > I can run FreeBSD inside quemu, but I can't run FreeBSD
> > (especially legacy FreeBSD, e.g. FreeBSD 5)
> > inside Xen domain.
> > Even on HVM capable machines.
> > (as far as I know proble is related to loader and big real mode).
>
> Ah.  I have an AMD-V box that works with FreeBSD 6 OK...  Are you running on
> an Intel VT-x box?

Yes.
At this moment I use Intel VT-x box for my experiments
(Hewlett-Packard DL380 G5 to be more precise).

But I can change my hardware if I'll have good reasons for this.
The fact that FreeBSD runs in Xen domU's on hosts with AMD CPUs,
but not run on hosts with Intel CPUs is very serious, as for me.

(May it be that the main reason why FreeBSD runs on one system [AMD]
but does not want to run on another [Intel] is not CPU, but BIOS or
something else?)

> > That is there are OS'es which we can run inside quemu but can't run
> > inside Xen domU.
> >
> > Am I right?
>
> Yes, if they mess with things like the big real mode stuff, which aren't
> fully
> emulated at the moment...
>
> > So I want to find a way to run OSes (inside quemu or any other way)
> > that can not run directly in Xen domUs (even on HVM)
> > simultaneously with normal Xen domUs.
>
> > May be, my information is out of date and today absolutely any
> > (x86,legacy) OS can run in Xen domU on an HVM capable machine?
>
> Would the performance of plain Qemu be too slow for you?  That would be an
> easy first step to make...

I think that this is the best variant.

As far as I understand I can run quemu VMs inside Xen domUs as well
as inside dom0.

> You might find that the KVM virtualiser will support the OSes you want (or
> not :-/), but that'll mean you can't run Xen (except maybe as a KVM guest).

Thank you for this advice, but I want to use Xen.
I like some of its features which KVM has not for the present.

I look for the additional solution, but not for the alternative.

--
WBR, i.m.chubin