[Xen-users] VLAN's and performance

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] VLAN's and performance
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:03:59 +1000
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 04:02:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm using VLAN's under Xen, and have a question about the hardware NIC
drivers.

I can configure the VLAN stuff in one of two ways:

1. Phys + Bridge + VifX.0 | Veth0.X

In this configuration, all frames (tagged and untagged) traverse a
single bridge, and all VLAN's are available in all domains (obvious
security problem, although I can work around it with ebtables). No
hardware VLAN acceleration is available. Minimal virtual network
interfaces and bridges are used.

2. Phys.X + Bridge.X + VifX.X | VethX

In this configuration, the VLAN's are separated in Dom0 and each VLAN
goes onto a separate bridge and (if required in Dom0) a separate
Vif.X/VethX pair. A DomU requiring more than 1 VLAN will need multiple
VifX.X interfaces, and managing all the separate VLAN's in Dom0 could be
a real PITA. Hardware VLAN acceleration will be available if it works
though, which could be nice for performance. Potentially needs lots of
interfaces in Dom0, and will require configuration every time a new VLAN
is required.

Any suggestions or comments? In this scenario networking is really only
going to be at WAN speeds (<2mbit/second), so maybe the performance side
of things isn't critical.

Thanks

James