Re: [Xen-users] decreasing Xenmon overhead

To: "Ashish Gupta" <ashishgup@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] decreasing Xenmon overhead
From: "Diwaker Gupta" <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:49:42 -0700
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:48:01 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=TXEiBrfmP8hgY0UlPXIWa2Q1f6Gqq0fIsc5Ev2Abjd96+0U22lOBMspEcgX1vuknMV4in16N+F3uhjxoO8OW8XgJM4F7LEYa4sUsDfMUizy/nWHaRvme0wIRRPW0ho8BaKfIgcBQtEw8UA3beDR1h7aNhAiqIqwlVSsxdUgV3TQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ashish,

for offline analysis. However  I notice that at an interval of 100 ms or so
the overhead imposed by dom0 is quite high , with upto 40% of CPU
utilization.

Are you sure that the overhead is due to xenmon? What CPU utilization
do you see in Domain 0 for the same workload, but without xenmon?

 Are there ways I can drastically reduce this overhead ? I read somwhere
about event overhead, using event masks and python overhead,  but am not
really sure how to use this information to reduce the overhead.

Exactly what metrics are you interested in monitoring? You might want
to look at 'xentrace --help' and 'xentrace -e'. Basically you want the
minimal set of events that will give you the desired information. To
see available events, look at /usr/include/xen/trace.h

HTH,
Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net/blog