Re: [Xen-users] Windows under Linux: access to Linux file system

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows under Linux: access to Linux file system
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 16:41:11 +0100
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Natalie Kather <n.kather@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:39:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The next question (which you don't ask here, but I'd like to explain
> anyways) is what happens if you would like Windows to be able to see
> files held in Linux.

Just a random bit of trivia from me here:

Qemu can (I think) export a Linux directory tree to a guest as a block device
formatted with a FAT filesystem (!).  The host Linux can't modify the files
as far as I know (I'd suggest that'd be impossible to do safely) but there
was talk of adding write support for the guest...

Anyhow, it could be handy for sharing a static filesytem tree or having guest
FAT filesystems be easily accessible.  In theory this should be doable in Xen
since the Qemu device models are used but I don't know if it's plumbed in...

Cheers,
Mark

> This is a slightly different matter than the
> filesystem that your Windows guest uses to boot from. Theoretically, you
> can have a shared filesystem, but as soon as you want one of the owners
> write to it, problems occur. So the solution here is to use one system
> as a file-server for the other (so, for example, let the hose be a
> file-server that Windows uses). This way, there's no problems with
> differences in "opinion" about what the content is and should be on the
> file-system. [And of course, networked access to filesystems are
> "neutral" to the actual file-system used by the OS accessing it, so a
> Windows system can access files stored in a ReiserFS or Sun ZFS without
> any problems at all (aside from different ideas of whether "blah.txt" is
> a different or same filename as "Blah.txt")].
>
> --
> Mats
>
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Natalie