RE: [Xen-users] Resource allocation for two VMs

To: "Richard Ginzburg" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Resource allocation for two VMs
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:17:36 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 May 2007 05:16:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is like asking how big a van/truck/lorry I need to move the
contents of my house, without giving any indication of how large my
house is, or whether it is choked with furniture or only sparsely
furnished.

The real answer is "the same amount of memory you would use in a
'physical' machine". So if you have a medium-sized database server, you
may need 1-2GB. A firewall will probably do fine with 128MB.

Diskspace is the same story - figure out what disk-size you'd use for a
"real" server, and then allocate that much space from your disk -
firewall would be a gigabyte or two (enough to install the OS and not
much more), database server would be the size of the database + OS
install + extra.

--
Mats