Re: [Xen-users] Memory squeeze in netback driver?

> I've not tried setting dom0_min_mem, this is also a kernel param?
> Any suggestions on what that size should be?

It's a setting in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.  Set it to something reasonable to
make sure that dom0 doesn't get ballooned down too far.  I think for a
production machine a sensible measure would be to set dom0-min-mem=0 to
disable auto-ballooning entirely - then set dom0_mem on the Xen command line.

On my test box where I run up to about 3-4 domUs, not heavily loaded, I have
been running with dom0-min-mem=196M and dom0_mem=256M.  I should probably
just disable ballooning altogether on this machine.

A static dom0 memory allocation should really be just fine on a server, the
auto-ballooning is more useful for desktop use or for playing around and
getting the feel of things without having to reconfigure manually all the
time.

Cheers,
Mark

> --jason
>
> On May 3, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Ryan Burke wrote:
> >> Is there any rule for how much memory dom0_mem should be set to?
> >> I've got 16g in this machine, and run ~12 1g domU's.
> >>
> >> Is more memory for dom0_mem better?  or is less better?
> >>
> >> --jason

> > Have any of you tried setting the dom0_min_mem variable? I had this
> > problem back in 3.0.2 and if I remember right the solution was to set
> > dom0_min_mem so that there wasa minimum that Dom0 would balloon
> > down. I
> > think that fixed it.
> >
> > Ryan

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.