Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 versus DomU and sata DVD drives

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 versus DomU and sata DVD drives
From: "Stephen Carville" <stephen.carville@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:15:07 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 May 2007 08:13:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=EDb+T78uYgGmXo5jPllOLg5xsWg1Cds5+SpRxZGckb6i52r5N4MHc2v+a7bAIAzlHMoYuiqIAwlHl2Iw66g+QFAcmmn6Cwffyqa/ydAXg9kauv9TyWdAdnrGj7ODlLwNlGn0i9J4+6AqmI3uapNTkciRaPpDsLllc4LGCHCzLas=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/3/07, Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 12:03 -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> I have couple question about using Xen in the "real" world.
>
> My test box is a Dell Optiplex 745 with a Core 2 processor and 4 G of
> RAM.  I am using 64 bit Centos 5 with Xen 3.03.  Right now I have it
> set up so Dom0 is my working domain and I add other DomU for whatever
> tests i need to do.  From what I've read here, this is not the best
> way to do things.
>
> So my first question is, if I do an install with a minimal Dom0 and
> use a DomU for my working domain, can I set it up so that DomU is what
> I log on to from runlevel 5?  Is that really the best way to setup a
> workstation?

I work from my GNU/Linux desktop in dom-0 with KDE, I use Ubuntu. My
purposes are the same, having a handy sandbox in the same place I'm
making things.

Typically, I don't set a max for dom-0, I just let dom-0 balloon to make
way for the guests. This way I only 'shrink' when I need to.

If its your desktop, its just too convenient not to do (imho).

That's pretty much how I look at it too.  I use Xen to test code or
new software on whatever version happens to be running on the target
box.  That alone has saved me a lot of time. Testing moving production
boxes to Xen is my next step.

--
Stephen Carville