Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs
From: "Michael T. Babcock" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:11:11 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 May 2007 01:30:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
First: unless you have really compelling need, do *NOT* use lvm inside of Xen guests. Seriously, you're just adding another layer of management and configuration problems you don't need. Keep your LVM work in Dom0.

There's no real difficulty in management, the issue becomes mounting of DomU LVM partitions from within Dom0.

I've tried it both ways and like being able to mount the DomU partitions inside Dom0 easily, but pv resizing vs. ext3 resizing wasn't a big deal and performance barely changed at all.

That said, I'd love to be able to have the DomUs detect partition size changes without reboots of the DomU or even nicer -- have the LVM handling be passed through to Dom0 directly instead of handled as emulated partitions. That is to say, /dev/DomU_VG/logs could be configured to pass through to Dom0's /dev/main/xen_DomU_logs directly ... but I've never played with the LVM internals so I'm not sure how likely that is to ever happen.
--
Michael T. Babcock
http://mikebabcock.ca