Re: [Xen-users] X86_64 and 4GB RAM

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 03:35:43PM +0100, John Hannfield wrote:
Hello,

> >You can easily check that, just try command displaymem in grub command
> >line. If it shows full memory map then I am wrong and your problem is
> >unrelated to mine.
>
> This is what it shows:
>
> grub> displaymem
> displaymem
> EISA Memory BIOS Interface is present
> Address Map BIOS Interface is present
> Lower memory: 640K, Upper memory (to first chipset hole): 3072K
> [Address Range Descriptor entries immediately follow (values are 64-bit)]
>   Usable RAM:  Base Address:  0x0 X 4GB + 0x0,
>      Length:   0x0 X 4GB + 0xa0000 bytes
>   Reserved:  Base Address:  0x0 X 4GB + 0xa0000,
>      Length:   0x0 X 4GB + 0x60000 bytes
>   Usable RAM:  Base Address:  0x0 X 4GB + 0x100000,
>      Length:   0x0 X 4GB + 0x300000 bytes--

There is memory map, so it's not debian bug #419994.

> It seems to say 4GB there. Is that OK?

Hmm, there is 640KB memory, then PC legacy hole up to 1MB. Next to it
3GB usable memory region, then nothing? Did you put whole displaymem
output in email? If so, there is something wrong -- missing memory above
4GB address. (I think that bios reserve 1GB space at ~3GB address for
PCI devices.)

> Or does it stop at 3072K (first chipset hole) ?

Yes, there is no memory detected (according to presented memory map)
above chipset/PCI hole.

Please send memory map from linux kernel that correctly detects all
memory.
You can use:
$ dmesg | grep e820
or locate it in kernel boot logs.

Kupson
--
Great software without the knowledge to run it is pretty useless.
(Linux Gazette #1)