Re: [Xen-users] Big I/O performance difference between dom0 and domU

To: Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Big I/O performance difference between dom0 and domU
From: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:56:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:34:10AM -0700, Liang Yang wrote:
What is the CPU utilization when you did this I/O performance measurement?

"% CPU" reported by bonnie when writing/reading/random seeking in is
6/3/0% in dom0 and 4/2/0% in domU. bonnie was the only thing running
when performing the test.

watch top in the Dom0 while running bonnie in the DomU; better, watch xentop in the Dom0.

when you do I/O in the DomU, it needs to go through the Dom0 in order to get to the real disk.