[Xen-users] slow performance and PV-drivers with Win2k3 VM

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] slow performance and PV-drivers with Win2k3 VM
From: Charlie Blank <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:03:08 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:02:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
 I am running opensuse with kernel 2.6.18.8-0.1-xen (xen 3.0.4).
 I've managed to install a full virtualized Win2k3 Server. Using a
sparse file as the disk for this VM.
 The performance of the disk is quite disappointing:

- HDTUNE shows me a performance of 5 MB/s inside this VM - compared to
about 90 MB/s when running natively a Win2k3 server on this harware.

I've seen that Xen Express contains some Windows drivers on the CD but I
am having some questions about this:
- does that comply with any licensing terms of XenSource, installing the
drivers outside of XenExpress?
- when getting the PV SCSI-driver by using these drivers - how can I
migrate my exsiting IDE disk in the VM to a disk that is attached to the
PV SCSI-interface card in the VM?
- Do the drivers of the Xen Express 3.2 CD work with my version of Xen
(3.04)?
- I've been unable to find good information so far. Did I search in the
wrong places?
- what is a typical performance degression I should expect in my Windows
guest?

Thanks for helping me understanding this scenario.

Charlie