Re: [Xen-users] xen on Debian amd64 + Windows XP 32-bit

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen on Debian amd64 + Windows XP 32-bit
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:42:18 +0100
Cc: Konstantinos Pachopoulos <kostaspaxos@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 08:41:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> i am trying  to setup on a remote (ssh) Debian Etch
> amd64 system a Windows XP 32-bit domain. I have used
> the default packages provided by the Debian
> repository.
> "hvm" seems to be enabled on my AM2 Dual Core ASUS M2V
> system.
> The config file is the following:
> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> builder='hvm'
> memory = 512
> name = "winxp"
> disk = [ 'phy:xendoms/winxp,ioemu:hda,w' ]
> #vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
> device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
> memmap = '/usr/lib/xen/boot/mem-map.sxp'
> cdrom='/vservers/home/shared/winxp.iso'
> boot='d'
> sdl=1
> vnc=0
> acpi=1
> apic=1
>
> When i do "xm create winxp", i get a white window at
> the beggining, then the qemu window and then the
> domain terminates. Unfortunately, the qemu window
> appears for much less than a second and it is not
> possible to provide any information about it.
> Any ideas?

The cdrom= syntax is deprecated, though I'm not sure that's actually the cause
of your problem.

Instead you should have your disk line look something like:

disk =
[ 'phy:xendoms/winxp,hda,w', 'file:/vservers/home/shared/winxp.iso,hdc:cdrom,r'
]

AFAIK it's nolonger necessary to put "ioemu" into the device name, so I've
omitted it here.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.