[Xen-users] Problems Installing Windows Guest; 3.0.3-6 on FC6

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problems Installing Windows Guest; 3.0.3-6 on FC6
From: "Dan Poler" <dan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:06:52 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:05:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Forgive me if this is asked and answered but I've done a lot of
research and am quite stumped.

I have Xen 3.0.3-6 running on a Fedora Core 6 x86_64 host; the host is
an AMD x2, Has AMD-V/SVM. xm info | grep hvm returns: hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
xm dmesg | grep -i svm returns:
(XEN) AMD SVM Extension is enabled for cpu 0.
(XEN) AMD SVM Extension is enabled for cpu 1.
(XEN) (GUEST: 2) SVM go ...
(XEN) (GUEST: 3) SVM go ...

I have installed a Linux PV guest just fine, but I am having some
issues installing a Windows guest. I have attempted to use XP Pro x64
and Win2k3 Std x64. In both cases the guest boots to the blue screen
and hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows..." -- now, I have done plenty
of reading that tells me that the solution to this is to hit F5 as the
system is coming up and prompts you to hit F6, and change the HAL
model -- the problem is, the guest refuses to accept F5 as input. I
hit F5, nothing happens. For that matter, I hit F6, nothing happens.
When prompted for ASR, I hit F2, nothing happens. I have no way to
determine if the guest is accepting any input whatsoever. I can
confirm though that on my Linux guest the F-keys work properly, I get
the keycodes for them on the console when pressed.

The Xen host has no console capable of running X so I have been
working via a remote desktop; I've tried this when vnc'ed into the
host, I've tried this with the host's DISPLAY sent back to a different
machine with an X server to take the host's vnc server out of the
equation. I've tried this guest creation using both virt-manager and
xenguest-install with the same results...

I may be missing something _really_ obvious here (hey, wouldn't be the
first time) but I've done a fair amount of troubleshooting and I'm
just simply stuck. How can I get the console to accept the F5 on boot?

Thanks!
dp