RE: [Xen-users] Has VMware better performance than Xen 3?

To: "Jose Ernesto Suarez" <suarez_ern@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Has VMware better performance than Xen 3?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:02:35 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:02:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Disk IO is dependant on the driver architecture. VMWare uses para-virtual
drivers (or in other words "special drivers for virtualization"), which is
possible in Xen too, but they are not available in the open source version of
Xen.

Also, for some types of operations, the binary translation that VMWare uses is
faster than the intercepts of the individual instructions in the Xen
implementation. This is because if you do binary translation, multiple
consecutive instructions that need hypervisor intervention could be intercepted
at once. It's also very likely that the call from guest to hypervisor is a bit
slimmer on VMWare - this is because the hardware implementation (particularly
in the first generation of HW virtualization) is very memory intensive, and
it's saving EVERYTHING and restoring EVERYTHING every time the processor jumps
between the guest and the hypervisor. With some clever tricks in software, you
can avoid saving the whole world on certain calls to the hypervisor.

It's also quite likely that some of the code in the hypervisor is a little bit
less than optimal. AMD at least hasn't spent much effort optimizing the
hypervisor implementation in Xen - I don't think Intel has done much either.

Using both cores on a dual core system in Xen with Dom0 having to "fight DomU"
to get CPU-time is probably not the most optimal way to set your system up.

> My question:
> Is VMware more faster than Xen?

Sometimes.

> how do I make my xen installation more faster?

You could download the XenEnterprise (XenExpress) to get PV drivers. That
should speed up the disk access (and network access).