Re: [Xen-users] Xen Not Support multi-cpu??

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Not Support multi-cpu??
From: "Peter Fastré" <peter.fastre@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:04:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 04:03:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>To be VERY PEDANTIC: VCPU's are what ALL domains "know". The REAL CPU's
>are handled by the hypervisor only. Whilst it's true that Dom0 gives the
>instructions about how many real and virtual CPU's a guest should use,
>it still is the hypervisor that enforces, controls and guarantees this.
>
>Dom0 in the sense of the Hypervisor is another guest - it just so
>happens that it's got the "privileged flag" set. Think of Dom0 as a
>"root" user in Unix, and DomU as a "regular user", and you get the idea.

I get the idea. But I have another question about this.
Should we compile the dom0 and domU kernels with SMP support? I have bought a server with 2 5130 cpu's (quad core), which make the total cpu count 8.
How do I have to understand the arrangement of cpu's? One cpu for the dom0 (which doesn't need SMP compiled then?), and some domU's with two or 3 vcpu's (heavily loaded ones -> they need SMP then?) and some domU's with only 1 vcpu.
So is it correct to say that I need SMP only for the domU kernels?

Peter