Re: [Xen-users] Mixing architectures--64bit master, 32bit clients?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Mark Williamson wrote:

Has anyone successfully run the 64-bit Xen hypervisor (open source
version) with
32-bit xen virtual machines? If so, are there any pointers to a
how-to of what to do, and things you should avoid?

This ought to work for HVM virtual machines just fine (you can run 32-bit PAE
or non-PAE guests just fine).

Sorry for the real newbie questions here, but how can I look at my existing
xen 3.0.2 installation (installed by someone else before I took over)
and tell which kind of client I've got now, HVM or PAE or non-PAE?
And is there a basic howto that will define some of these acronyms?

Also, when upgrading from Xen 3.0.2 to xen 3.0.4 (kernel 2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1 to 2.16.16.33-)
is there any order that should be followed, i.e. should you
do the master first or the clients first, or does it matter?

Thanks

Steve timm

For paravirtualised guests, 3.0.4 requires them to have the same paging model
(i.e. 64-bit / 32-bit, and for the latter PAE or non PAE).

xen-unstable has (I believe) support for mixing paravirtualised 32-bit PAE
guests and 64-bit paravirtualised guests on a 64-bit Xen.  Dom0 can also be
32-bit in this scenario.

Cheers,
Mark