RE: [Xen-users] 32bit or 64bit?

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 17:19 -0800, Luke S. Crawford wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Kraska, Joe A (US SSA) wrote:
> > I don't think 64bit xen is considered fully baked yet, although it
> > certainly is workable for investigation purposes (from experience).
>
> Can you point us at more detail about problems in 64-bit that are not in
> 32-bit?  I've heard a few other people say similar things, but I have a
> couple emt64 boxes running in 64-bit mode just fine right now, and I'm
> thinking about putting up another shortly.

One of the major ones had nothing to do with Xen, or CPU architecture.
People installed 64 bit xen hypervisor + kernel then used 32 bit guest
templates and were rather confused as to why it didn't work.

Other people confuse some of what was getting notorious in UML on a 64
bit kernel (in particular regarding nesting, I believe) and concluded
the issue must also apply to Xen.

And then there was the one about when you walk under a ladder or break a
mirror, your kernel starts selling drugs and ends up in juvi hall.

There were a few obvious install oopses with 3.0.2 64 on some GNU
distros, but this had more to do with python-64 than it did Xen or its
patched Kernel. I think the python-twisted meta packages weren't
suggesting everything they needed or something.

Only a few times, did I ever help someone work on an obvious
"mysterious" problem that only went away using a 32 bit hypervisor and
kernel, and I'm not so sure that wasn't just attributable to cheap
hardware.

If you have a tried in true 32 bit xen0 / xenU and 64 bit xen0 / xenU of
like versions there's no reason they can't co-exist (that I found). I
tend to run all 32 or all 64, however,and by habit and preference
usually lean to 32 bit.

If it works, go with the flow.

Best,
--Tim