RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4 on RH EL 4.4 - can't make it boot kernel

To: "Foreman, Tim" <tforeman@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4 on RH EL 4.4 - can't make it boot kernel
From: "Kraska, Joe A \(US SSA\)" <joe.kraska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:34:49 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:44:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I did some googling and found some indications that it might have been
> related to using the ext3 filesystem, so I rebuild the server with
ext2
> and got the same results.
>
> Any suggestions?

Here's my config for a stock RHEL4u4 installation:
---------------
disk = [ 'file:/RAID/data/xen/images/xen-rh64-gold/hda,hda,w' ]
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.33-xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.16.33-xenU.img"
root = "/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00"
memory = 4096
vcpus = 1
builder = 'linux'
name = 'xen-rh64-gold'
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:22, bridge=xenbr2' ]
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = 'preserve'
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
extra = ' TERM=xterm'
#
#sdl = 1
---------------

As you see, I'm installed on an image file. I installed that with
Qemu. I had to do nothing special there, except to do a mutation
to /etc/modprobe.conf (add "alias eth0 xennnet") and do system-
config-network, and do service network restart, and then do
system-config-network again (the double network config is
associated with the text version not having the option to set up
the autoconfig of eth0 on boot).

My xenU kernel handles RH out of the box.

I often had your problem until I figured out that I had to point
the root to a valid logical volume. Without the root= entry...
kernel panic exactly the way you're getting it.

At a glance you didn't look like you were using logical volumes,
but I didn't look to carefully.

I forget why, but another thing I had to do was to add IDE support
to the kernel. Probably I could have done that in the initrd, but
I didn't know how, so I compiled it in (if you were having that
problem, it would manifest differently: "unreadable block (0,..)"
or some such).

Joe.

p.s. nothing to do with ext3, I think.