[Xen-users] Why are shared libraries loaded multiple times in a guest VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Why are shared libraries loaded multiple times in a guest VM?
From: "Arun Babu" <arunbabu.n@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:22:33 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:21:50 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have xen 3.0.2-3 installed with linux 2.6.16.13 guests running on them.
I have a simple test program to print the address of a function in a shared library (say printf) using dlopen and dlsym. I ran this test on DomO and running another instance of the same program (to make sure the library is still loaded). Both instances print the same address (as expected). But when I do this experiment on a DomU, I get different addresses for the same function. Further investigation of /proc/<pid>/maps shows that the same shared library is loaded in different places on those two machines. Why isn't the different instances of the test program refer the same shared library/ why is the library loaded multiple times?

Can somebody help me reason out why this is happening in guest vm? Is this because of some boot option or anything specific to xen?

Thank you
Arun

--
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~abnagara