RE: [Xen-users] Xen and distributing memory

To: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen and distributing memory
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:38:39 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:38:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At present Xen doesn't support NUMA, but there's been work (patches have
been submitted but not accepted) to support different memory regions
(zones or whatever one might call them) for different locations in the
machine.

The first step of this would be to give limited set of processors "local
memory" when assigning domain-memory.

A step further would be to extend the information to give the guest-OS
information abuout which socket has which areas of memory, so that the
kernel can have a good idea of where to allocate memory. Of course, this
doesn't solve all problemns. Someone (Emmanuel Ackaroy(sp?) I think)
gave the following example: one process starts, allocating a large chunk
of memory, fills this memory with data and spawns another 3 processes,
doing some heavy calculation work on the previously allocated memory.
Without direct interfaces to allocate memory to a particular processor,
it's not possible for the OS to allocate that memory correctly... :-(

Of course, a further complication is if we have 2 VCPU's but 4
physically viable CPU's in the system. Which CPU's memory do we allocate
to which processor?

--
Mats