Re: [Xen-users] No /dev/net/tun in dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] No /dev/net/tun in dom0
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:12:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:12:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday 11 February 2007, Morten Christensen wrote:
> I have a dom0 with Debian Etch, created with Xen-tools, that I  want to
> use as a OpenVPN-server.

dom0? or is it domU?

> I cannot start the openvpn-deamon, it cannot open the TUN/TAP dev
> /dev/net/tun

obvious things first: have you loaded the 'tun' kernel module?

> The dom0 does not have a directory /dev/net and if I create it, it is
> away after the next reboot.

on most distros these days, /dev is usually a tmpfs filesystem;
non-persistant.  all device files are created by udev

> Can I get a staying  /dev/net/tun in the dom0 ?

i have this on /etc/udev/rules.d/20-names.rules:

KERNEL=="tun",                          NAME="net/%k",MODE=0666

if everything is in place, /dev/net/tun should be created as soon as you load
the tun module.

--
Javier