RE: [Xen-users] Kernel Panic-not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

To: "Oli Seubert" <olizzs@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Kernel Panic-not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8, 1)
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:50:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:51:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good. The reiserfs filesystem driver is, however, modules, so you need
an initrd - see below for more info.  Or you could just change reiserfs
to be "y" instead of "m" in the configuration file.

> and now this kernel Panic occurs:
> Kernel Panic-not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8,1)
>
> After that
> I have tried to create an initrd as suggested in
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initrd.txt
> Unfortenetely I wasn't able to compile busybox, so I skipped it

You should be able to just use "mkinitrd /boot/somename.img
kernel-versin", such as "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-xen 2.6.18-xen" -
although different distros have different versions of mkinitrd - the
above works for sure on Fedora Core 4. Most distributions come with some
tool to build a initrd without any "manual" work needed. Make sure you
do "depmod 2.6.18-xen" before you use the mkinitrd command (and that
you've installed your modules in the first place, of course).

[snip]

--
Mats