Re: [Xen-users] HELP PLEASE !! How to Recover deleted img file?

To: Radu Stanescu <radukn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HELP PLEASE !! How to Recover deleted img file?
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:59:34 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 06:59:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 14:46 +0200, Radu Stanescu wrote:
> Hy today I accidentaly delete the img file of one of my domU. The
> guest is still up and running. How can i recover the img file from
> which it was loaded?
> I tried lsof but i don't see any open file by xen regarding my domU
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Radu Stanescu

If anything, Xen has more or less acted like a safety net. The file you
deleted isn't deleted (yet) because something is still accessing (lock !
= 0) it.

What I would do is create a second loop device large enough to hold your
data, xm block-attach it after formatting it mount it and back up any
way you see fit. Remember, don't include the backup drive itself in the
copy / rsync / tar (whatever, you get the picture).

A slower method would be just fire up rsync (use ssh if weary of trying
to install rsyncd on the phantom system).

Grab as if you would in a burning building, and whatever you do , don't
stop the VM :)

Hope this helps,
--Tim