RE: [Xen-users] hvmloader not fbuilt as part of Xen

To: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>, pak333@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] hvmloader not fbuilt as part of Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:38:51 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:39:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And the reason that it doesn't build as default is just that - since the
dev86 package isn't default with most Linux distributions, and XenSource
doesn't really want to be responsible for distributing it, you have to
get it yourself. Sometimes it's included as a package (RPM or similar)
in the distribution, so you may not have to download it as such, but it
needs installing!

It would be the same for the whole of Xen if you didn't have gcc on your
system, it wouldn't build. The difference is that hvmloader (actually,
it's the BIOS files that need dev86, you can build hvmloader itself with
gcc, but it relies on the BIOS files to be included in hvmloader, so if
you can't build the BIOS, you can't get a hvmloader either).

--
Mats