RE: [Xen-users] Config: Paravirtualization and Full Virtualization

To: ggerber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Config: Paravirtualization and Full Virtualization
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:45:52 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 02:46:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not quite correct. Para-virtual is definitely the faster way to go (at
least in the current generation of processors). However, one of the
drawbacks of para-virtualization is that it requires access to the
source-code of the OS to modify the way the OS behaves (and someone
working on the source-code to make those modifications!). Since neither
of those two are that easy to come by for ALL OS's, particularly for
OS's that are "closed source", having a method where you can take the
stock binary of the OS and just run it makes life a whole lot easier.
There are alternatives: Vmware uses something called "binary
translation", where the OS-code is stepped through and modified where it
sits in memory, to "divert" the tricky bits of code that needs extra
work for virtual machines.

--
Mats