RE: [Xen-users] Xen noob and a destroyDevice error

To: ggerber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen noob and a destroyDevice error
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:20:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:21:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The KERNEL is most likely entirely correct. This is an error message
generated by xm, which (as I explained in a previous post) has several
functions called destroyDevice.

It's very likely that your build of the Xen packages is broken. My guess
(and it is REALLY JUST A GUESS) is that 3.0.4-1 is somehow got broken.

I work on Xen-unstable, so I don't follow that well what's going on in
the Xen 3.0.4 tree. I tried having a look at the Xen 3.0.4 Mercurial
release, but there doesn't appear to be anything in there that's got
destroyDevice in it [although I only spent a minute or so looking at the
patches].

It is also possible that RedHat has messed up - they may have
"backported" some changes and in the process lost some part of a change
that affects the number of arguments someplace.

There is a suspicious[1] patch in unstable, from the 15 Dec 2006 that
adds a "Force flag" to calls to destroyDevice in DevController.py. If
someone at RedHat grabbed this patch by mistake or not realizing the
consequences in some other way, it may well have caused problems.

I'm sorry if this is not really that helpful.

If the other posters with the same problem have also been using RedHat
builds of Xen, that would be a good key to work from. If not, then
that's probably also a useful knowledge.

[1]Nothing WRONG with the patch itself, it's just that it happens to
change the code in a way that could cause the error message reported.

--
Mats