Re: [Xen-users] Networks stops after running xend start

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Networks stops after running xend start
From: "Larry Matter" <cm-xensource@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:56:33 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:56:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't know if this will help you or not...

> after the 'xend start' script is ran, I lose all
> networking.  And if I run 'xend stop' all of the devices associated with a
> bridged setup are still present (xenbr0, peth0, vif0.0, etc.) and my
> networking is still not working.  The only way to get the network back is
> reboot (I don't have xend configured to start on startup).

I had this problem too (though on XenXpress).  I read something about xend
changing eth0 to peth0 and making a new eth0.  I didn't really follow that
but it made me suspect that having eth0 get its (fixed) address via dhcp
might be contributing to the problem.

I changed ifcfg-eth0 to use a static ip instead and that has solved my
problem.  I haven't dug into the scripts to figure out why.

> peth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
>           inet6 addr: fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff/64 Scope:Link

I also disabled ipv6 (in /etc/modules.conf) as I don't need it and wanted
to simplify things.  I don't think that had any effect on this.

Larry