[Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4 from source and AMD M2V SATA finally working

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4 from source and AMD M2V SATA finally working
From: Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:23:51 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:23:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For anyone trying to compile Xen 3.0.4 from source for an Asus M2V motherboard, because of the lack of drivers, here are a few tips.

1. The onboard LAN does is not supported in the Xen kernel or any kernel that I know of. You can get the driver source from the following location, but it does not compile with the Xen 3.0.4 kernel source.

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2V/Linux_LAN.zip

Fortunately, it does compile with most other kernels. I am installing on top of Ubuntu 6.06 AMD64-server edition. While running the stock Ubuntu kernel, you are able to compile and use the driver. Take advantage of this and download all the other tools you will need to do.

Also, if someone can get the above driver code to compile and work in Xen 3.0.4, please email me. For now, I am using a PCI GigE card until I get it working.

2. The onboard SATA controller (VIA VT8251) does not have drivers. This chipset is used on boards such as the Asus M2V, A8V-MX and A7V-MX. Fortunately, the Ubuntu kernel already was patched and worked out of the box. But the stock 2.6.16 is not. When compiling the Xen kernel, replace two files(ahci.c and sata_via.c) with the version from the following page, under the "Quick solution" section.

http://www.geocities.com/rajahuroman/main.html

I will shortly be posting the steps I followed to get Xen 3.0.4 running for my on an Asus M2V running Ubuntu 6.06 amd64-server.

Oh, when I mean working, I have dom0 running. Will shortly try HVM and PV guests soon.

Greg