Re: [Xen-users] howto install from cd/network/image/foo with 3.03

To: Marc Teichgraeber <radar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] howto install from cd/network/image/foo with 3.03
From: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:41:23 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:41:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to make the 'boot from install media' stuff work from within Xen, you must use HVM. The config file you posted is not using HVM.

If you want to install from a CDROM without using HVM, you can do so using qemu; it's a little slower, but it works fine.

first, if you need network, create a /etc/qemu-ifup that looks somethying like this:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe tun
/sbin/ifconfig $1 promisc 0.0.0.0
/usr/sbin/brctl addif xenbr0 $1

(this assumes you have xenbr0 configured for xen) - if you are installing from a cd that does not require network access, you can skip this bit.

Next, make sure you shutdown any DomU that uses the partition or file you want to install on. Xen is good at checking to make sure you don't step on other people's disks, but Qemu and Xen are not aware of oneanother in this way.

Now, you can start up your install using qemu:

qemu -hda /home/lsc/centos3 -cdrom /home/lsc/CentOS-3.8-server-i386.iso -boot d -vnc 2

(this will allow you to VNC into this server, screen 2 and see the install)

(instead of /home/lsc/centos3, you could use /dev/hda4 or another physical partition if you like; instead of /home/lsc/CentOS-3.8-server-i386.iso you can use /dev/cdrom, if you like.)

when you are done, setup a xen DomU in the usual way. in the disk= section add file: or phy: as appropriate before the disk you passed to qemu as -hda.