Re: [Xen-users] xen equivalent of vmware v-motion and drs?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen equivalent of vmware v-motion and drs?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:22:58 +0000
Cc: archier <archier@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:23:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm new to virtualization and have been trying to see what various products
> are capable of.   Vmware has a project called "v-motion" which lets you
> move VMs from one physical machine to another, and they have another called
> "drs" (distributed resource scheduler?) which automates this motion based
> on performance profiles -- e.g. how much cpu or memory is being used, etc.
> (I haven't tried it out myself)

"vmotion" is called "live migration" in Xen.  This works for Xen-native guests
(paravirtualised) but there's work underway to support this in HVM (fully
virtualised) guests too.  xen-unstable may already contain this support in
which case it would be in the 3.0.5 release.

> Is there anything similar for Xen?

The open source Xen doesn't have the resource scheduler, but there are loads
of management tools now available (in various states of development) to make
organising VMs easier.

I'm not sure if the commercial XenSource product (or any of the open source
products, such as Enomalism) supports automatic migration yet.

Hope that helps some,

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.