Re: [Xen-users] Getting "waiting for root filesystem" after installing f

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Getting "waiting for root filesystem" after installing from 3.0.4 source.
From: Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:48:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:48:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 I am getting a message about "waiting for root filesystem" when I try
and boot the xen kernel.  Once it gets to that point, it hangs.  I
installed Xen 3.0.4 from source using the steps below.  I am
installing on Ubuntu 6.06 amd64-server edition.

Hardware:
AMD 3800 X2 AM2
Asus M2V motherboard

Are you sure 2.6.16 even supports your disk controler? And are you sure
it will be sda and not hda? The message you get indicates that the
device for root isn't apearing, usualy that means the driver is
missing.

I would recommend using the xen packages from ubuntu. They do have the
same as debian or not? Debian has xen for the 2.6.18 kernel, which
should suite your hardware better.

MfG
        Goswin

So how can I figure out if it is supported? When I install Ubuntu6.06 which is running 2.6.15, it works fine. As for sda/hda, Ubuntu says sda. Is there any way to get more info of why it is failing? The console output is so fast, I can't see anything. When I exclude the initrd from grub line, I get a kernel panic of unknown filesystem on /dev/sda6. So I assume it is still sda. I'm not sure what I am missing. I was looking at the xen packages for Ubuntu, but they are i386 and not amd64/x86_64.

Thanks,
Greg