Re: [Xen-users] moving a real system to a Xen-hosted (HVM) one - how?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] moving a real system to a Xen-hosted (HVM) one - how?
From: "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:41:14 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:41:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 1/24/07, Reinhard Brandstaedter <Reinhard.Brandstaedter@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 15:33 -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> I see, you're physically moving Windows' C: D: etc. drives to Xen
> servers hardware. This is akin to moving any installed Windows system
> from vendor A's model 1 with motherboard B, host adapter C, and drive
> model D to vendor Z's model 2 with motherboard Y, host adapter X, and
> drive model W ..... As I mentioned before, this is probably documented
> on www.microsoft.com somewhere... Or, is the good old
> over-the-network-copy method an option?

I'd suggest a Imaging software like Symantec Ghost or similar to clone
the real ones and apply the image to Xen Guests / LVM disks.
If you are using Windows 2003 you could also use Automated System
Recovery (ASR) and built in backup strategies.
I know VMWare ESX has a tool for live-migration (in sense of migration
physical machines to virtual ones) where it basically copies all files
from a physical machine to a virtual one during the machine is running.

Good thoughts. A spare disk to test would be helpful too, then you
know the result. Then, some clone-capable CD (Trinity Resource Kit
comes to mind) could boot, and copy partition to partition across the
net (oh, needs be done on the live server, taking it down to do so ...
maybe not).

jerry

--
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"