RE: [Xen-users] Windows guest on non VT

To: "Tomasz Chmielewski" <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows guest on non VT
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:36:49 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:44:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tomasz, sorry that you'll get this twice - didn't do Reply All on the
first attempt...

--
Mats

That is indeed correct, assuming we include AMD Virtualization
Technology in "VT", then I agree completely.

Rumour has it that the guys behind Xen created a version of Windows that
ran on top of Xen, by having access to source-code from Microsoft (this
is available for "research purposes" if you can get a big enough
signatory of your university or such to sign the license agreement - not
trivial, but not impossible either, although special strict restrictions
apply to how you can use the source-code, with one for this purpose
important rule: None of the resulting code built from the source can
ever be distributed outside the labaratory without prior consent from
Microsoft - and that's on the far side of impossible!).

So what I'm saying is that it's not IMPOSSIBLE to create a PV version of
Windows - but unless you can get Microsoft to agree that it can be
distributed, you can't really let anyone outside your little group use
it. And of course, it's not very easy to modify the source-code of any
operating system even when you have source-code, you need to understand
exactly how different parts of it are used, etc, etc.

--
Mats