Re: [Xen-users] Xen with dom0 requiring initrd

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen with dom0 requiring initrd
From: "Derek Sherlock" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:46:24 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:05:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jerry,

Yes, I followed the README instructions to the letter, but that didn't help.  And I did search throught the Xen-Wiki.  In the end I had to do some hand tweaks to make it work.  Wish I remembered what they were(!)

I can't comment on whether it's Gentoo ugliness or not, but I should point out that I'm _not_ using the Gentoo modules to install Xen or kernel.  They come straight from the generic source tarballs, installed by following the README exactly.

At any rate, I just tried with the newest xen (3.0.4-1/with linux 2.6.16.33), again following the README to the letter, and again it isn't working.  For a dom0 kernel .config file, I used a gzcat of /proc/kernel.gz taken from my previous working installation.

This time, what I see is lots of module loading errors -- for example:

  insmod:  error inserting '/lib/dm-mod.ko': -1 Invalid module format
  ERROR /bin/insmod exited abnormally!

There are dozens of others similar to this, but I quoted the last one since it's still on my screen.  Right after that, somewhere during "Creating block devices", it hangs.

At any rate, I'll persevere with it and see if I can figure it out.  I'll either end up posting my own recipe for a fix here, assuming I'm successful, or another plea for help with more details (logs, etc.).

Derek.

On 1/23/07, Jerry Amundson <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry to back this up a bit...

On 1/23/07, Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wondering if anybody else is using Xen with a Dom0 linux kernel that
> relies on intird to boot up?

Umm, or course. The README even states...
   title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
      kernel /boot/xen-3.0.gz console=vga
      module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=<root-dev> ro console=tty0
      module /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img
as a GRUB entry...

> I am, because I retrofitted Xen onto a system that was already using LVM
> root directories.  So, I need to conifgure my Dom0 to use initrd to load and
> configure lvm.

Well, I'm sure LVM root dirs are sort of common... ;-)

>  Now, I'd like to upgrade to xen== 3.0.4 with domU==2.6.16.33, but I don't
> seem to remember how.  I'm pretty sure I used Gentoo's "genkernel" program
> to build the initrrd file, but couldn't use it to build the kernel and
> modules, so I built them manually using the makefiles.  But beyond that
> level of detail, I don't recall.

Eek, so it's some kind of Gentoo ugliness, then? Have you checked Xen-Wiki?

jerry

--
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"