Re: [Xen-users] Configuring qemu-dm for use with HVM domU

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Configuring qemu-dm for use with HVM domU
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:45:30 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:45:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the response.

> The other option is of course to use Windows in "Remote Desktop" mode,
> where you should be able to set (almost) any size you like... And it's
> at least faster than VNC, but may not be as snappy as SDL.

Thanks for  the suggestion.  I was not aware windows had such a feature.  I looked at Microsoft's web site, and learned quite a bit about it, although could find no client (viewer) for it that runs on any non-microsoft platform.  To work for me, the viewer would have to run on linux.

Probably I should have explained my setup better.  Sorry, I'll try again:

It's a workstation, and I need to be able to interact with the windows domU, as well as any Linux domUs I set up.  I figure I should just run an X server on dom0 (or one of the domUs, if I can figure out how), and use it to access all the working sessions in the other domUs.  Accessing those in linux domUs is easy, using standard tools (telnet/rlogin/ssh/X-sessions/vnc/whatever).  Accessing the windows domU seems easy too -- when I start it, a qemu-dm window pops up.  I can "maximize" this qemu-dm to 1280x1024, which would be full-screen on my 1280x1024 monitor.  But, it would be better to make it slightly smaller, so that the linux window manager widgets are still visible along the bottom.  If I tell windows that it's 1280x1024, but shrink the visible window in my X server to, say, 1280x920, unfortunately the windows screen image has it's bottom truncated, so I can't get to the winows start bar.  If the qemu window had scroll bars, this would be no problem, but it doesn't.

Following your suggestion, I'll see if I can find a linux client (viewer) for "remote desktop".

Thanks again,
Derek.

On 1/23/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

That's presumably because your current display is 1280x1024? I don't see
why else it would do like that [unfortunately, my Linux system is only
equipped with a 1280x1024 display in itself, so I'd be in that same
situation].

I run 1024 x 768, and that's fine by me - but it depends on what you're
doing within the Windows domain (I wouldn't like my "real" windows
machine that I write this on to be 1024 x 768, but my virtual Windows
machine is fine at that res).

> I was wondering if there's a way to either (1) make the qemu
> display on the host show scroll bars when it's downsized this
> way, or (2) better still, configure qemu to emulate other
> custom sizes less than 1280x1024, but greater than 1024x768.

Although the register (in .../tools/ioemu/hw/cirrus_vga.c) that holds
the width of the resolution is capable of doing any resolotion that is
evenly divisibly by 8, you'll need a driver that can set those values.

When I used to work with display drivers, you could actually provide a
list to the driver that contained the resolution and frequency, and the
driver would calculate back from that, including really weird stuff like
1408 pixels wide or some such, but I suspect the Cirrus driver that MS
has doesn't quite cope with such advanced features.

Aha! I just figured out that you can actually get an intermediate size
setting: you'll get 1152 x 864 - however, only in 8-bit per pixel, so
256 colours... I don't know if this works on the "defualt monitor", but
it worked after I selected a different monitor type and selected "List
all modes" from the display control panel... Maybe that will be better
than VNC.

--
Mats