RE: [Xen-users] Mixture of 32/64 bit VMs

To: "Gary W. Smith" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Goswin von Brederlow" <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rene Castillo" <ReneCastillo@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Mixture of 32/64 bit VMs
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:29:06 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 02:29:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

99.9% of all 32-bit apps work straight out of the box on 64-bit OS
[except for some particular distros that doesn't, by default, come with
the 32-bit compatibility mode - presumably assuming that their customers
don't have any precompiled software to run on the system].

There are exceptions, but for almost everything, you should be able to
just run a 64-bit kernel & tools with any 32-bit app. If you have
PARTICULAR apps in mind (particularly ones that don't come with
source-code), you should probably research whether those will work in a
64-bit environment.

--
Mats