Re: [Xen-users] Getting better Disk IO

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:08:27 -0800
"James Rivera" <jrivera@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to improve my disk io.

I've been hoping to see replies to this, but lacking good information
here is the state of my confusion on virtual machine disks:

If you read the docs for configuring disks on domu and hvm machines,
you'll find a gazillion or so ways to present the disks to the virtual
machine.

One of those ways (who's name I forget) provides (if I understand things,
which I doubt :-), provides a special kind of disk emulation designed to
be driven by special drivers on the virtual machine side. The combination
gives near direct disk access speeds in the virtual machine.

The catch is that you need those drives for the kernel on the virtual
machine side. They may already exist, you may have to build them, and
depending on the kernel version, they may be hard to build.

Perhaps someone who actually understands this could elaborate?